Saturday, June 09, 2012

Rugby Day

The sound of cheering woke me up today. No, it wasn't coming from a cheering crowd, or at least not exactly. It was rugby day here in the free world, which meant only one thing: I was not going to have any attention from anyone the whole day, starting from 8 am when Milk began broadcasting matches on the computer. 
And so I asked myself: 'Myself, what are we going to do today?' 
Simply enough, I thought of the blackberry tree on the backyard and the possibility of me baking a pie.


O brothers, I dared. 
Started off quite innocently, looking at people baking pies on youtube, simple recipes, all beginners level, and I thought why not. Wonderful thing about France, they do sell baking stuff at the supermarket (France 1 - China 0). I managed to steal Milk away from the computer long enough to go buy the missing ingredients and a 10 minute blackberry picking quickie. And of course as soon as he climbed down from the tree he was gone, leaving rushed dirty footprints all over the kitchen floor. 


And I slaved away, cutting off the tails of 200 little blackberries, making pastry from scratch (which by the way, was not as scary as I had thought!), making the filling (surprisingly easy) and so on. 

Difficult part was actually rolling the pastry onto the plate, at first I made three little pies which were devoured instantly after, so I was unable to take a picture, but I was very happy at least I managed to get soooome attention from the men (at some point I had them both Milk and Milk Senior sitting opposite me at the kitchen table magnificently ignoring me, as they stared at the laptop screen while I did the most impressive figurines on the pastry after beating it down and rolling it thin to perfection, that would have gotten PRAISES back home, me making pastry). 

But as always, all good things must come to an end and so it happened with my pie baking experience, bottom line: not difficult at all! Though still a little scary. Seriously though, follow the recipe and it can't go wrong. I present to you O brothers, my first pie ever! Blackberry pie! 


Corsican word of the day: Cume stai? (How are you?)



Day 6 in Corsica feeling: Accomplished. 

No comments: