Sunday, November 11, 2012

Recent Culinary Exploits

So we had a few of our classmates over for dinner last week, everyone was supposed to bring something to eat or drink. Some brought chips and beers, others brought wine and sausages, a couple of Chinese girls brought dumplings! All was going smooth until one of them arrived with two bags of frozen wild boar meat. 

Wild boar. 

He was all 'Here, this is for you, compliments from my brother in law' (who happens to be this corsican hunter, as I then found out). Apparently, the dinner plans were so improvised that this guy didn't have time to prepare anything, and to avoid arriving empty-handed, he reached out for help to his brother in law who insisted he took a small piece of his most recent catch. Small?
What the hell am I gonna do with 8 pounds of frozen wild boar??
Does it even taste like pork? Like beef? How am I supposed to cook some meat I never tasted before? 
I went online and searched for a couple recipes, they recommend to cook it as a stew, but instead of using wine, with beer, and I know the perfect chestnut beer for it. 

But do I dare?  
It looks so much more advanced than all the stuff I've cooked. I'm still a beginner at this! I mean I'm still afraid of taking things out of the oven by myself. 

I did make a pizza last night. Turned out quite nice actually, although I think I made a mistake with the crust since it didn't roll out that easily, it felt more like kneading clay. But in the end it tasted like a decent pizza. Now I know why all restaurants here serve pizzas, they're fucking easy to make and crazy cheap too. I think I'll be doing some more experimenting with that. Taco pizza, wonder what that would look like... pff, like an anorexic and abnormally long calzone.

Has anyone noticed all pizzas taste the same in France? There is a reason for it, they ALL use the same cheese. I wish I could have used a different one but since it was my first time I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something I'd probably fuck up. I bought it, I did. That same supermarket cheese that they all buy by the ton. Emmental, damn you and your affordable prices. 

Speaking of which, last week I went to the supermarket and bought a giant chicken for 4 euros. I roasted it with jalapeƱos and garlic as stuffing and it lasted us two whole days. It's such a pity it takes almost two hours to cook because by the time it's done I'm almost done as well with a whole bottle of wine and I'm afraid after that my appetite tends to disappear. 

I wish I had had an oven in China... man I love those things, I'd heat up my coffee in there if I could. 

Alright I now present my pizza. 







No comments: